The East Alton First United Methodist Church was organized on September 10, 1899 with eighteen charter members. The newly organized Methodist had no church building so they gathered to worship in members homes and in the Village Hall. The cornerstone for the first church building was laid on West Main Street in East Alton in 1902 and dedicated in 1903.
For twenty-five years, from 1961-1986 worship services were held in the fellowship hall. On May 18, 1986 there was a ground breaking ceremony for a new sanctuary. A consecration service of the new sanctuary was celebrated on December 7, 1986. In 2011 the East Alton First United Methodist Church reached two milestones. The chapel, parlor, fellowship hall, and Sunday School rooms marked their fiftieth anniversary and the sanctuary its twenty-fifth.